Monday, August 15, 2011

The Spark

Tonight T and I went out to dinner.  We enjoyed a "paleo diner" in our local area.  T had a grilled cheese sandwich with 'not fries' (french fries that are air baked) and I enjoyed a plate of three veggies - yam 'not fries,' cucumber salad with olives, onion, and red peppers, and coleslaw.  Unfortunately, I also decided to have a cocktail.  I enjoyed a elder flower liquor cocktail.  I recalled having one with a friend a few months back and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Problem is, it's infused with cane sugar.  Despite the fact that cane sugar is a fairly unprocessed sweet it managed to crawl into my brain and find the button that still dings for sugar.

I certainly had the 30 seconds of scanning the fridge and then attempted to eat my homemade sorbet (which needed time to soften a bit).  I thought about apples and peanut butter, thought about some nuts, and thought about some mango sorbet that sits in the freezer taunting me.  In the end, I came to my senses and chopped up a mango.  It's sweet enough to satisfy a sugar craving and hearty enough to kill my hunger.  Ended up being thoroughly satisfying and I managed to keep myself from giving in to my sugar craving.  It was the first moment that was truly challenging and I came through it. Unscathed.

No comments:

Post a Comment